The Morning Eclipse

Sunday, October 22, 2006

MIS is not so management after all

When I entered MIS, I thought I would be a management student with heavy IT background. 4 years into the course and I found out it was 50-50. Seven months after graduating, I discovered it was more like 70% IT and 30% management.

Ateneo has a miscommunication of its MIS program. Half of my batch got surprised when we were required to learn programming! Yes, the department did explain that our ideal job is the CIO but they did not explain that the CIO is very very very far from the CEO.

As I went to some business discussions with my Industrial Engineer cousin, he explained some basic, I underscore the word b-a-s-i-c management principles which I just did not know. This is very regretful for someone who initially took MIS thinking it was management with heavy IT background.

I therefore suggest the Ateneo and specifically DISCS inform clearly to their freshmen what MIS is all about and more importantly what it is NOT about.

All these disillusionment must be the primary reason for Ateneo's School of Management's decision in creating an MIS-like program but more managmenet oriented. This will not be so hard as they already have a department that has classes that are very MIS-ish. Good thing though is these classes always come from the management perspective.

I've had dreams of making MIS a 50-50 Managment and CS course. Later on I've discovered that this is an impossible thing. In the world, we all need to find our niche. Either be IT or Management.


**********************************************
Practice makes perfect.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • MIS is not business management. Bottomline of MIS course is being able to manage a projects in relation to IT. Other than that, it's really a personal take on what you have learned from such course.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Oct 25, 03:26:00 PM  

  • i learned that a Systems Analyst is like a sponge.

    he picks up the water of information from the well of knowledge and then sprinkles it to the dry and barren landscapes of non-it enabled businesses

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Oct 30, 04:46:00 PM  

  • there are regrets, but if you are really determined to take a management career, do not fret because our youth lets us learn new things.

    and as for choosing a niche, it's really up to you. but i'm aiming for the best of both world

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Oct 31, 07:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home